top of page


Generally speaking, insurance goes with the vehicle. For example, if you have an accident while driving someone else's vehicle, the owner's insurance would first, be applied toward damages to the vehicle. Your Auto insurance would also generally apply in the event that the owner of the vehicle had no Auto insurance or did not have enough Auto insurance to pay for the damages. Personal Injury Protection, which varies from state-to-state, covers the individual under their individual policy. For example, if my friend is driving my vehicle and gets hurt in an accident, my Auto insurance will cover the damages caused to my vehicle, but their Auto insurance will cover injuries caused to their person.

What if I let someone else drive my vehicle and they get into an accident?
What do I do if I am in a car accident?

First and most importantly, make sure that you and everyone else is okay and then get help for the injured. The next crucial step is to make sure to notify the police so that they can file a report. The police report is the most accurate and court relevant information available. Keep a notebook in your vehicle for taking down important information. Make sure to get names, addresses, phone numbers, driver's license number, license plate number, car make and model numbers, witness phone numbers, etc. The more information that you can gather, the better. Also, if you or passengers are injured, make sure to save all medical bills and receipts.

If your car breaks down, your first priority is the safety of the people inside the car. Cold weather suggestion: Always carry a warm blanket in your trunk in case you must wait for help in freezing temperatures. Also carry a shovel and sand in the event your car is stuck in the snow. Do not try to dig yourself out unless your car is in a safe place. At the moment of crisis call Farmers® Claim Department at 1-800-435-7764 for assistance when you need it most.

What do I do if my car breaks down?
Will my policy be canceled if I get into an accident?

Being in an accident will not generally cause your policy to be canceled. Depending on the circumstances, it may result in a non-renewal of your policy. After the facts of the situation are reviewed, you may be required to pay a higher premium for your policy upon renewal.

Generally speaking, the insurance goes with the vehicle. For example, if you have an accident while driving someone else's car, the owner's insurance would apply first toward damages. Your Auto insurance would generally apply in the event the owner of the vehicle had no Auto insurance or did not have enough Auto insurance to pay the damages. For specific information and guidance about your coverage, please contact me at any time.

Am I insured if I am driving someone else's vehicle?
Do I have insurance if I am renting a vehicle?

Car rental companies charge daily fees for Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage (which means their insurance will pay for all damages covered in your rental agreement). Rental car coverage under a private passenger policy varies state-by-state. In some states, your current Auto insurance coverage may already provide adequate coverage protection for you, even if you are renting a vehicle. So, you may want to contact your agent prior to renting a vehicle just to check into which coverage you currently have. Please feel free to contact me to review your current coverage or to talk about adding coverage to your current policy.

The word "a lot" is subjective but unfortunately your premiums more than likely will go up. Because insurance is based on risk factors, and traffic violations like speeding attribute to being "higher" risk, your premiums will more than likely increase. Additionally, your premium may go up depending on the severity of the accident. Please contact me at any time if you have questions or further concerns about your premiums. I am always glad to help.

Will my premiums go up a lot if I get into an accident or get a speeding ticket?
bottom of page